NZBC, Decree Establishing Norms for the Pre-Marital Investigation, October 1994.
Before a marriage takes place, the officiating priest is responsible for:
1. ascertaining the freedom of the couple to marry;
2. preparing the couple adequately;
3. completing the pre-nuptial papers approved for use in New Zealand;
4. obtaining any dispensations/permissions that are needed;
5. ensuring that marriage papers from outside New Zealand have been processed by the diocesan curia of the place of marriage;
6. notifying the place of baptism of the Catholic spouse(s) of the marriage;
7. returning the marriage papers to the diocesan curia of the place of marriage.
NZBC, October 1994, Gen. Decr., The Pre-Marital Investigation, Code of Canon Law Annotated (Montréal: Wilson & Lafleur Limitée, 2004): 1717.