Southern African Catholic Bishops’ Conference, General Decree Concerning the Statutes of Presbyteral Councils, January 1998.
In accordance with the prescriptions of c. 496, the Southern African Catholic Bishops’ Conference hereby decrees that:
1. The presbyteral council in each diocese shall be chaired by the diocesan Bishop.
2. The council is to elect a secretary who, together with the diocesan Bishop, is to prepare an agenda; the secretary is also to notify members of meeting, take and circulate the minutes and deal with any correspondence.
3. The mandate of priests elected to the council or appointed by the diocesan bishop is to be not less than two years nor more than five years, renewable.
4. Ex officio members of the council shall be the vicar(s) general, the episcopal vicars, the chancellor (if a priest), and the vicars forane.
5. The council is to meet at least twice each year.
6. The role and functions of the presbyteral council shall be co-ordinated with those of other diocesan bodies, without prejudice to the institutional roles governed by the Code of Canon Law.
Code of Canon Law Annotated (Montréal: Wilson & Lafleur Limitée, 2004): 1776.